Monday, January 15, 2018

Week 1: Strengthening my Relationship with Christ

At church we are sticking to a 12 week reading schedule to help us develop a more personal relationship with our Savior. Each week we focus our study on a scripture or passage of scriptures that is provided. We ponder what that scripture means to us, write down our feelings, and answer questions that are provided as we feel prompted.

Last week's scripture was Helaman 5:12 in The Book of Mormon.

12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Here are some of the questions I asked myself as I read and studied this scripture each day:

1. How do I show love for the Savior?
2. How can I seek the guidance of Christ more in my life?
3. How/Who does the Lord want me to serve?
4. Am I seeking Christ's help in all things?
5. Where does true happiness come from? Do I have it now?

The answers I had to some of these questions surprised me....
Am I even showing the Savior I love him at all? 
How foolish of me not to be seeking His guidance more in my daily life.
Are my eyes open to ways to serve others?
Am I happy?
I realized my main focus in life right now needs to be clarified....

How can I rely on Christ more in how I mother Cohen and how I love my husband?

By making this small change in my daily study, I have already noticed a difference in how much patience I have with my little boy who is just figuring out life. Tantrums and his need for independence can be so frustrating, but as I turn my focus to how the Savior would love him, I find more joy in overcoming those little bumps in the road with him. That has been a big change from how I previously felt during fits or fights! For more tips about parenting in a Christlike way, follow @simplyonpurpose on Instagram.



This week's scripture is John 14:23-27. Feel free to join me as I study this passage everyday!


No comments:

Post a Comment