Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Mommin' on a Budget: Haircuts

Fun fact: I cut my husband's hair. Growing up, my mom always cut my hair. She also cut the hair of a few boys from church every once in a while. She made it seem so easy! The first time I ever cut hair, it was on Jake. We were dating at the time and I have no idea why he trusted me. I didn't even look up any videos on youtube or ask for any advice! I just went for it and figured it out along the way. I am by no means a hair stylist/barber. AT ALL. Professional training? None. BUT.....I save our family $15+ per month. That's $180 a year, people! For us, that's one and a half trips to Costco. My point is, ladies, if your man isn't too picky (Jake likes to look good, but is definitely low maintenance) then why not give it a shot?!

Here's how I got started. We bought a clipper set with all the guards and a pair of scissors for about $30 from TJ Maxx. It's pretty low quality, though, so I've linked a few higher quality clipper sets here and here.

I suggest watching a few tutorials on youtube for what you're trying to do. Does he want a buzz? Fade? Cut with scissors or clippers? If you're lucky, he doesn't know what he wants and you can just give him a generic cut. Jake likes a 3 on the sides up to where his head curves, a 7 on top, and then I wet it and blend the two sections together all the way around. Last, I trim around the ears and neckline without a guard.

This video does a great job of explaining lots of little things if you've never cut hair before. It also helps if the hair has some texture or wave to it to hide your mistakes :) And like they always say, "The difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut.....is a week." Good luck! Let me know if you give this a try and how it went for you! Just think of the thousands of dollars you can save over the years! Here are a few pics of Jake's hair when I've cut it.

Don't mind my over excited face!

Nice and short, like I like. (Jake prefers longer)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Cutting your husbands hair is a huge money saver! I cut Sean's hair and have for 3 years now. I would suggest buying a good quality clipper because it makes the hair cutting so much easier. We bought some $20 pair at Walmart and it would pull Sean's hair and was super hard to use and I thought I stunk at cutting hair and Sean hated it the first 2 times. We went back and bought a more expensive clipper that was the Wahl brand and it was night and day the difference it made. You may spend more but after 3 cuts they have paid for themselves, a good investment especially if you have boys. I also told Sean he is in charge of remembering and getting everything out and ready if he wants a haircut. One less thing for me to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna start putting Jake in charge of that, too! I definitely think I will upgrade to some nicer clippers in the next year or two. Mine is good, but nicer would make it even easier, I agree. I would love some nicer scissors, too!

      Delete
  3. I started in high school cutting Anna's dad's hair. He liked it long in the back and short on the sides (extremely mild mullet - nothing crazy). Makes me giggle to think about it. I cut hair for guys I knew when I was at BYU. There are so many times I would make a little mistake and I would just start laughing. I made so many mistakes but no one ever hated their haircut. I know I accidentally did a little snip in Anna's dad's head right where his ear is connected . . . ouch! It is fun and a good feeling to cut hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I mess it up every time, but it always looks pretty good! Fun to hear your back story. Thanks!!

      Delete